> As I have understood from the documentation the AddType/AddHandler directive
> is valid in the <VirtualHost> context and should override settings from the
> mime-file. Unfortunately neither of them seem to work.

No, directives in <VirtualHost> only override directives placed in the
*same context* outside <VirtualHost>.  So a <Directory /a/b/c> inside
a <VirtualHost> will override the same container outside a
<VirtualHost>, but directives placed in <Directory /a/b/c> will always
override directives placed in the bare <VirtualHost> outside any other
section.

Joshua.