Well, I have just found something interesting while reading
through Pro Apache 3rd edition, by Peter Wainwright.

Apparently, using mod_perl, you can use the full power of
the pearl interpreter INSIDE httpd.conf.

Quote from the book page 449:

"Embedded Perl appears in Apache's configuration inside a
<Perl>...</Perl> container, also known as a Perl section.
Anything inside this container is executed by mod_perl when
Apache starts. You specify configuration directives simply
by assigning a package variable of the same name. For
example;

<Perl>
 $ServerAdmin="[EMAIL PROTECTED]";
</Perl>

In Perl, this is a basic assignment of a string to a scalar
variable. In a Perl section, it becomes a configuration
directive because the variable corresponds to the name of a
configuration directive understood by Apache."

Peter Wainwright also provides some very capable examples
in his book, using this technique.

One example of this starts with:

#Now write the Perl script and embed it into httpd.conf in
# a <Perl> container

<Perl>

# generate virtual hosts on the fly with Perl
# back to httpd.conf
</Perl>

# ...rest of httpd.conf...

and,

<Perl>
# note the following line calls an external perl interpreter
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# rest of Perl script - embedded in htpd.conf

# back to httpd.conf
<Perl>

#rest of httpd.conf file

He concludes this section of the chapter by stating,

"Of course you could use any scripting language to create a
configuration file this way because Apache no longer needs
to know how to interpret it (ie the script) itself."

So, in theory (please see disclaimer below - LOL) it should
be possible to use an external php interpreter to generate
httpd.conf files and configuration directives this way, by
embedding the call to the php interpreter into a
<Perl>...</Perl> section.

The above was extracted from the full sample chapter 7,
'Hosting more than one website', available for download from
Apress's website, at:

http://www.apress.com/book/supplementDownload.html?bID=275&sID=2134

The download link is not underlined, and is the text
'Download Sample Chapter' which just looks like a
sub-heading to me.

Pro Apache, Third Edition
Download Sample Chapter <--

This is an excellent book, packed with practical
explanations of how to master Apache. I have struggled with
the online documentation for years. I cannot recommend this
book highly enough!

HTH

Keith

In practice they are not.