From: Jason Williard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:31 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Troubles w/mod_rewrite

I added the RewriteLog directive to the .htaccess file and am now
getting
Internal Error messages.  When looking at the error logs, I get:

[Thu Jan 19 13:20:08 2006] [alert] [client x.x.x.x]
/www/vhosts/domain.com/weather/.htaccess: RewriteLog not allowed here

The entry in the .htaccess file looks like:
RewriteLog     "logs/rewrite.log"

Any ideas why this may be happening?

----
Thank You,
Jason Williard

On 1/19/06, Jason Williard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a site that shows weather forecasts.  I would like create a
> RewriteRule to redirect to the proper URL when someone appends their
zipcode
> to the base url.
>
> i.e. http://weather.domain.com/12345 ->
> http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/weather/weather.pl?zip=12345
>
> So far, I have tried several methods but cannot get it to work.  Here
are
my
> current rules in the .htaccess file:
>
> RewriteEngine   On
> RewriteRule     ^/([^/]*)
> http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/weather/weather.pl?zip=$1 [PT,QSA]
>
> I have also tried each of the following:
>
> RewriteRule     ^/([^/][0-9])
> http://www.searching.com/cgi-bin/weather/weather.pl?zip=$1 [PT,QSA]
> RewriteRule     ^/([^/][0-9]{5})
> http://www.searching.com/cgi-bin/weather/weather.pl?zip=$1 [PT,QSA]
> RewriteRule     ^/([0-9]{5})
> http://www.searching.com/cgi-bin/weather/weather.pl?zip=$1 [PT,QSA]
> RewriteRule     ^/([0-9])
> http://www.searching.com/cgi-bin/weather/weather.pl?zip=$1 [PT,QSA]
>
> None of these have worked.  I simply get a 404 Not Found error.
However,
> know that mod_rewrite is working as I had another rule in place for
> redirecting anything that goes to that page to the default URL.
>
> Any ideas?

Use the RewriteLog to see what mod_rewrite is doing.

Joshua.