Hi Richard,

Me too

>So, I'd have one install, i.e.
>    /usr/apache/xxxx
Ok

>with multiple configs, i.e
>   /usr/apache/conf/httpd-host1.conf
>   /usr/apache/conf/httpd-host2.conf
>   /usr/apache/conf/httpd-host3.conf
>Is there an "apachectl" script that allows for
>multiple daemons to be managed? (start/stop/restart) ?

There a several things you can do (i have the Number 2 running)
1. Config-independent.
   Make a symlink of the apachectl and name the links than
   host1 / host2 / host3
   Inside of apachectl put at the begin
     PROGRAMM_NAME=`basename $0`
   to receive the name of your host.
   Than change the line
     HTTPD="/usr/apache/bin/httpd"
   into
     if [ "$PROGRAMM_NAME" != "apachectl" ];then
       HTTPD="/usr/apache/bin/httpd -f
/usr/apache/conf/httpd-${PROGRAMM_NAME}.conf "
     else
       HTTPD="/usr/apache/bin/httpd "
     fi

OR
2. config- and version-independant:
   After a clean installation make a complete split of the binaries and your
domain files
   Binaries:
      /usr/apache/2.0.55/
      /usr/apache/2.2.0/
      /usr/apache/<other_version>
   and herein at least bin/lib/libexec of each version

   The config files and your doamain files (Docroot,Logs etc) put than under
      /usr/apache/host1
      /usr/apache/host2
      /usr/apache/host3
   and above each host you have
      etc  configuration-with the httpd.conf, perhaps vhosts, ssl-configs,
certificate
           The serverroot in your httpd.conf you should change to the desired
version
           e.g /usr/apache/2.2.0
      var  Docroot, logs
      bin  receives a copy of the apachectl of your desired version
           name the copy host1 / host2 /host3 and change the same things
           like before in 1.) additionally you have to take care now
           which version of apache you want to use

           if [ "$PROGRAMM_NAME" != "apachectl" ];then
             HTTPD="/usr/apache/2.2.0/bin/httpd -f
/usr/apache/conf/httpd-${PROGRAMM_NAME}.conf "
           else
             HTTPD="/usr/apache/2.2.0/bin/httpd "
           fi

   If you want to use later another version of Apache for your domain
   you only have to change your copied apachectl with the "HTTPD"-Line
   and the "ServerRoot" line in httpd.conf

bye

Oliver

   Than search for the line after "start" and "status".
   Here you can put the desired conffile with

<<winmail.dat>>