Ok, I recompiled and rebuilt apache 2.2 from scratch:

./configure --prefix=/Library/Apache2 --with-perl --enable-module=shared --enable-mods-shared --enable-speling --enable-ssl --enable-mods-shared=most --enable-static-support

Running php 4.3.11 if that matters.

Based on the documentation I found on Apache.org and elsewhere, I've added:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

AddHandler php-script   php
AddType text/html       php

However, loading a php file on my site displays the file as a text file.

Is there something else I'm missing?

http://www.espphotography.com/index.php displays the file as a text file - ie the code http://www.espphotography.com/ (defaulting to index.php ) then has my browser asking what I want to do with the file.

Thanks.

Evan