Hi,

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 11:08:58AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Martin Marcher wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >  deathening silence here, are my mails actually sent or is it simply
> >  the case that I didn't see the obvious and you are not answering me?
>
> Hmmm... more tactful ways to word a 'ping, please respond' plea.

i'm sorry, I assume it got lost in translation...

> Not a server bug, it's user 'error' - Windows Explorer always assumes that
> drag n' drop (copy) of a directory implies the entire tree.

The problem is that those directories actually aren't there, Windows
Explorer just somehow 'sees them', kind of like a symlink to '.'. So
what happens is that if I

$ mkdir test
$ touch test/somefile

People on the Windows clients are actually seeing a folder structure
like:

test/
  test/
    test/

where each folder contains "somefile"

And even more disturbing Windows Explorer insists on copying all those
directories, they appear out of nowhere and fill up the disk space.

I checked the logs and when I copy a folder the GET requests are ok
which means that Windows Explorer isn't even trying to get the
non-existant subdirectories. With an ignorant costumer who doesn't even
care that there's a public network in between it's quite useless to
explain to him that there's nothing wrong with the server because
"The server is sending me wrong information"
i hope that makes the problem clear. This is not about restructuring or
that Windows Explorer behaviour implies recursive copies. I'm more
disturbed by the fact that data comes out of nowhere.

martin