Hi

> I am pulling my hair out with this. I have a single public IP and already
> have a web server redirected on the firewall from the external IP to the
> private IP of 10.5.36.5. Now I need to enable another box (10.5.36.6)
> running on port 80 to be accessible from the outside.

10.5.36.6 is a physically separated server, isn't it (you said
"another box")? If it's the case, it has nothing to do with
mod_rewrite, only with your firewall (I suppose that you only have one
unique public ip address). You need to configure your firewall to
forward requests made oon port 81 to 10.5.36.6:80.

Regards,

Gaël