Copies wrote:

In my diploma thesis I have to add a HTTP(S) support to the application server.

You haven't said whether the implementation of HTTP(s) is somehow supposed to be an actual learning/research exercise for you, or not. If it is, you should obviously implement it from scratch. Otherwise, use whatever's handy.

I have two possibilities I'm aware of:

1] Implement HTTP myself. I need a very basic HTTP support. Just get POST request, check for Content-Length, pass body of the request to the server.

Actually, for simple setups, that may be all that is required. You may have to handle a few subtleties (100 Continue's, chunked requests, etc.), but they are not insuperable. But...

2] Use libwww. I assume it is much safer, than what I could implement with a reasonable time and effort. But huge library for a very specific application - it looks like an overkill.

I wouldn't say "huge". It's obviously not tiny or lightweight, but nowadays few hundred KB here or there isn't such a big deal, especially for a research project.

In your case, you should ask yourself whether you should spend your time on your primary goal (your diploma thesis project - stuff that you are actually researching or learning), or wasting large amounts of time designing a custom HTTP(S) server that might squeeze a few more cycles out of your application server..