Kishore,

I think you are very close!!

Mysql is on a different box than the webserver.

I can use the CLI from the same box as the webserver.  Works for the CLI, doesn't for for apache.

The Crash is literally a segmentation fault of the apache thread.

I tried doing a su to the apache user.  The CLI then seg faults.  I doesn't fault if I call it as root.  This leads me to believe that I need to change permissions on some resource that php is using.  Any ideas which ones?

Thanks!

-Noah