On Thursday 23 March 2006 19:05, Sean Conner wrote:
>   And there exists the possiblity of setting the timeout to infinity and
> *still* have the reverse lookup fail, since there are plenty of ISPs that
> don't bother with setting up PTR records for all their IP addresses.

Correct, but this particular problem that I was having was caused by an ISP
that incorrectly configured their server which in turn caused the server to
fail to answer, not even with a record not found.

>   Now, with that said, you could certainly modify Apache to do multiple
> attempts, wrapping the call to getnameinfo() in something like:
>
>       /*----------------------------------
>       ; demo code only---for demonstration
>       ; purposes only!  You have been
>       ; warned!
>       ;-----------------------------------*/
>
>       {
>         int tries = 3;
>           int rc;
>
>         while(tries--)
>         {
>           rc = getnameinfo();
>           if (rc == 0) break;
>         }
>       }
>
>   But it's probably best not to do any DNS lookups at all.

Previously we wern't looking up records but started doing it for statistical
reasons.  logresolve, which was suggested by another poster, was tried but
was abandoned becasue we had to do multilpe post processing of numerous logs
for virtual hosts which worked but was cumbersome.  We have less problems,
and it's more convenient to just use hostnamelookups, at least for us.

>   -spc (Or, you could modify the resolving libraries ... )

Nice idea, but I think I don't want to start digging around in Solaris 10
libraries.....

I think we can declare this issue closed.  The solution is ISP's have to
correctly configure their name servers, otherwise their users have problems.
The ISP in question has done that now too.

Thanks for the suggestions
greetings from Austria
Markus