It was thus said that the Great Daniel P. Brown once stated:

>     One of my customers is using a load-balanced set of four servers.
> One server is fully-capable of handling the MySQL databases and PHP
> webpages with no problems at all.  However, he has three additional
> servers so far, all 100Mbps unmetered, for large graphic distribution
> using randomized load-balancing handled by PHP.  Things went well for a
> while, and the servers handled the requests promptly and fully.
> However, the traffic has increased quite a bit, and this weekend we're
> expecting it to increase as much as tenfold.
>
>     What would be our best option for ensuring the GRAPHIC servers can
> handle this drastic increase in traffic?

  So these three large servers are doing nothing more than serving up static
files, right?  Limiting factor will probably be the actual network traffic,
followed by the number of concurrent connections the webservers are
programmed to accept.  I'd check those two first (network utilization and
that the servers are set to handle an appropriate number of connections)
before anything else (CPU speed isn't that much of a factor since the
content as I'm lead to believe is static anyway).

  -spc (The machines are probably more powerful than you give credit for)