We're running Apache 2.0.46 on Red Hat kernel 2.4.  We're trying to
shorten the URL our clients have to use to connect to an application.
We have three environments; development, test, and production. Our
approach is to create a DNS entry in the format of
environment.appname.domain and have it resolve to
environment.webserver.domain and when they arrive look at what
application they are seeking and redirect them to
environment.webserver.domain/appname.  We've got this working with the
DNS as described and the following entry in the httpd.conf file.

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName test.appname.domain
ServerAlias *
Redirect permanent / https://testweb.domain/appname
</VirtualHost>

Our problem is that if clients mistakenly enter
https://test.appname.domain instead of http://test.appname.domain they
are directed to the default page of https://testweb.domain which is the
index.html file.

How can we fix this, and is there a better way to solve the original
problem?

Thanks in advance for your help;
Ed
**Please apply a generous amount of all the usual disclaimers here.**