On Wed 26 Apr 2006 at 12:41PM, Axel-St?phane  SMORGRAV wrote:
> I had a similar problem when using both mod_mem_cache and mod_disk cache with
> Apache 2.0.54. I ended up abandoning mod_mem_cache and never experienced the
> problem again. I may even have posted a bug report... but back then mod_cache
> did not get much TLD from developers who were, as I understand it, busy
> developing mod_cache for Apache 2.1/2.2.

Thanks for the advice.  Isn't mod_mem_cache a good idea?  Wouldn't it
hurt my performance not to have in-memory caching?

But it turns out that I did explored the different module combinations
during my initial testing.  Turning off mod_mem_cache certainly helped--
but I was still seeing core dumps even without it, and the text/plain
vs.  text/css problem was a real showstopper-- Apache's architecture
makes it nicely guarded against core dumps in child processes, but
serving the content incorrectly is just not OK for my users.

Rather than go back to Squid, for now I have switched to using Sun's
proxy server, which is free but not Open Source, and which has worked
better so far.  (I realize that I work for Sun so this sounds like a
commercial but part of what I like to do is use and test free and open
source software; for those interested, see
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/dp?entry=installing_sun_java_system_web)
.  I'll reevaluate using Apache for proxying content in the 2.4.0
timeframe, and if I can find some time, I'll keep trying to debug the
(several hundred) apache core files I have.

        -dp