At work I've built several webserver farms. You will
need to configure multiple apache webservers, and put
a loadbalancer in front of it. Either a hardware based
loadbalancer,or software-based loadbalancer such as
PLB. If you want multiple levels of redundancy, you
can configure a load-balanced loadbalancer
environment.

Your DNS would resolve to your loadbalancer, which
would in turn distribute the load over your various
webservers. This loadbalancer should in turn monitor
your apache instances and take an instance out of it's
"available webservers" table if it goes down.

Feel free to email me individually if you require more
information.