On Thursday 27 April 2006 19:15, Joshua Slive wrote:

> I'm not an expert in this topic, but what you want doesn't sound
> feasible.  In the Apache httpd architecture, threads or processes get
> to listen on the accept queue and grab new requests as they come in.
> If they read a request and decide it is low priority and they don't
> want to handle it, there is really no way for them to shove it back on
> the queue.  They are stuck with it and must either serve it or dump
> it.

Just to throw in a couple more thoughts ...

If you want to prioritise *only* by client address - without reference to the
HTTP request, you'd use a connection-level filter.  Take a look at traffic-
shaping modules such as mod_evasive or mod_cband.

If you're happy to affect the outcome of a request (c.f. mod_load_average,
which enables you for example to service static requests normally but
return HTTP BUSY in response to expensive requests when the server load
is too high) you can write a simple module that implements early hooks
to inspect the request and determine its fate.

If neither of the above is sufficient, then I have nothing useful
to say, beyond the vague idea that a new MPM would probably
be the most likely approach.  Try the developer list.

--
Nick Kew