On 5/3/06, Stuart, Ed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We're running Apache 2.0.46 on Red Hat kernel 2.4.  We're trying to shorten
the URL our clients have to use to connect to an application.  We have three
environments; development, test, and production. Our approach is to create a
DNS entry in the format of environment.appname.domain and have it resolve to
environment.webserver.domain and when they arrive look at what application
they are seeking and redirect them to environment.webserver.domain/appname.
We've got this working with the DNS as described and the following entry in
the httpd.conf file.

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName test.appname.domain
ServerAlias *
Redirect permanent / https://testweb.domain/appname </VirtualHost>

Our problem is that if clients mistakenly enter https://test.appname.domain
instead of http://test.appname.domain they are directed to the default page
of https://testweb.domain which is the index.html file.

How can we fix this, and is there a better way to solve the original
problem?

(repost, aparently some keypresses are interpreted by gmail as hotkey
and caused a prematures send)

Probably https requests are not processed by te virtual server you
described above. Have a look at the ssl config. Also it is not
possible to have namevirtual hosts under ssl, so all ssl requests will
go to the same virtual host (probably the first)

a command that might give you some hints as to what gets processed by
which part of the config is:
httpd -S -DSSL

You could do what you are trying above with a rewrite. This would save
you having to add virtual hosts for every app.

For example:

RewriteCond         %{HTTP_HOST}           ^(dev|test|prod)\.(.*)\.domain$
RewriteRule (.*) https://%1web.domain/%2/$1 [R,L]

(Disclaimer: This is of the top of my head, I haven't tested it.)

Krist

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Solothurn, Switzerland