Thanks, I now have a better understanding about how the proxy
module handles ftp.

> also your configuration seems a bit weird. you are running apache on
> port 21

        Yes, my configuration is pretty weird. I'm running Apache on
three ports, but clients use 9982 as their ftp proxy. The clients on the
LAN use the Apache ftp proxy as a forward proxy for connections to ftp
servers elsewhere. In other words, I need to forward all ftp requests.
        So, now I'm wondering why the proxy_ftp module is having trouble
with this. Shouldn't it proxy active ftp?