On 08/05/06, Billy Nab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

That comment needs to be seriously taken at face value.

The apache version, installation directories, paths, document root,
everything basically is no where near what the apache docs have in it on
most distributions I have seen.

I noticed the issue on a few servers.

If the httpd server limit is set to a low number then in theory I
thought it should help when their is a lot of requests by stopping
resource starvation from excessive child processes.  Instead I just
get queued requests and a large number of httpd processes stuck in RUN
state.  Even with keepalive off and timeout set to a very low value
the RUN state persists.

I solved this for a busy site by upgrading the hardware significantly
and moving from apache 1.3 to 2.2 which seems to handle the situation
better and that stopped the RUN sticking on the child processes.

Spec of server with the problem worst before I moved busy site.

FreeBSD 6.0
AMD 64 3200+ (i386 mode)
2 gig ram
apache 1.3
php 4.4.2
mysql 4.1

the ram never saturated and swap was never used more then a few kB.
It was cpu saturation.

Chris