Hiyas,

I have a slow backend server (running apache 1.3 + vignette), which does some SSI to generate content to our users.

The "load" on these servers is quite high right now. I'm trying to remove the SSI processing on these hosts, in an atempt to lower the CPU usage of those machines.

What I want to do is configure a pool of "frontend" apache servers, accessing the backend servers trough mod_rewrite and mod_proxy. SSI is already disabled on the backend servers, and then, I already get the proxied pages with the SSI directives not yet parsed (and teorically, ready to be parsed by my frontend servers).

But, (hope it is not a FAQ question) when my frontend servers fetches the html page from my backend servers (via mod_proxy), no matter what I do on my configuration, mod_includes refuses to parse the requested page on my frontend servers too (I.e., I'm unable to make any SSI content to be parsed, if its from mod_proxy, and not directly from the filesystem).

Is there anything I'm able to do, to solve this issue? If this is just matter of configuration, even better. But I'm not afraid of doing patches on apache's source code, in case it is needed.

OB: almost forgot to note, I'm using Apache 1.3.33 on both groups of machines, and unless it is really mandatory, I'm unable to update them to Apache 2.0/2.2. :(

        Thanks in advance,

Domingos.

--
Domingos Parra Novo