On 5/18/06, Oliver A. Rojo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all!

Im running Java pages on my server. Basically, all pages will have a
direct url like http://mydomain.com:8080/mydir

What I did is for user not to type a long url by simply typing the
normal domain such as http://www.mydomain.com and redirecting to
http://www.mydomain.com:8080/mydir.

What appears to be my problem is how to avoid the whole
http://www.mydomain.com:8080/mydir url appear on the browser which is
when I type in the absolute domain, http://www.mydomain.com:8080/mydir
url will just map into http://www.mydomain.com which will eventually
appear on the client's browser.

This is what happens when you do a redirect:

- Browser requests  http://www.mydomain.com
- Server answers with "I don't have this, but try
http://www.mydomain.com:8080/mydir in stead.
- Browser requests http://www.mydomain.com:8080/mydir

And for this reason the new URL apears on the adress line of the
browser. This is by design.

If you want to hide the fact that resources are not where they apear
to be you need to use reverse proxying, not redirection.

Krist

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Solothurn, Switzerland