On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:09:00PM CDT, Mike Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:
: We currently log all the virtual host activity to individual log files.
: Would it be more efficient to log to single logfile that's later split for
: each vhost? Or would that make the disk utilization worse? Or should I be
: looking to improve efficiency somewhere else? I already know the site PHP
: code is a bit inefficient in how it uses the disks, and I've talked to the
: programmer about cleaning that up a bit.

Better to capture all activity into a single log file,
then use another program to split the logs.  In the old
days, if Apache open too many logs in a large virtual
hosting setup, it may run out of file descriptors.  Also,
root-owned log files split to individual user-accessible
directories could lead to security holes.

--
Eugene