I've been trying to wrestle answers out of Google for two days now, but I finally decided that I have done enough looking to be a worthy poster of your newsgroup. ;)

Basically, I want an authentication system where one of those nifty username and password dialog boxes appear and ask for a password. I know it isn't the most secure thing in the world, but it is at least something.

I have written down the 3 changes I've made to the configuration since a fresh install.

1. Added these lines to the bottom of the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf configuration file. /var/www/ is the root directory of my website.
<Directory "/var/www/">
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Options None
</Directory>
2. Wrote this .htaccess file in /var/www/:
AuthType Digest
AuthName "Private"
AuthDigestFile /var/www/.htpasswd
Require valid-user
3. Ran the command sudo htdigest -c /var/www/.htpasswd <DOMAIN> jacob
NOTE: I replaced <DOMAIN> with the address of my website minus the http part. 4. Created an empty index2.html file in /var/www/, and opened it in a browser.