I'm installing Apache and Tomcat on a Windows XP (with a complete IIS configuration if that's messing things up somewhere).

I successfully installed Apache and Tomcat and got the correct page navigating to localhost:[port] for each of them. So now I'm trying to install the connector.

I'm following the directions here: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/quick-start-guide-windows/2 and though they're a little out of date, they've been good so far.

When I went to download mod_jk2 the documentation said that it was no longer being developed so I did some hunting around and found and found the Apache Tomcat Connector site http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/index.html

I downloaded mod_jk-apache-2.0.55.so <http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk-1.2.15/mod_jk-apache-2.0.55.so> into C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\modules and renamed it mod_jk.so Then I looked in the source files (JK 1.2.15 release sources <http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/source/jk-1.2.15/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.15-src.tar.gz> ) to find workers.properties and I put that in my conf directory.

Then I added LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so
to the end of the list of LoadModules in Apache2.2\conf\httpd.conf and saved the file.

Then I tried restarting the Apache service I get "The requested operation has failed!" [ok]. I looked in the error log I don't get an error message.

I also tried adding
   #To be added at the end of your httpd.conf
   Include /var/tomcat3/conf/jk/mod_jk.conf-auto
to the end of the file (and deleting the other command) and that generated the same error message.

I read through the FAQ and I didn't see anything that addressed this (although I could have totally missed it, I have no idea what I'm doing really) so if I just need to RTFM some direction would be great.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Joelle