From: Krist van Besien [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:28 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Switching between HTTP and HTTPS using Rewrite
Module, where Mod Proxy used for other purpose.

Hello,

On 6/15/06, Anil Dighade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to Switch protocol between HTTP and HTTPS using Rewrite
Module. Little background before I start problem. I use Apache as web
sever(on 182.24.116.157)  and Weblogic(on 182.24.226.59)  as application
sever. So all my code deployed in weblogic server. Apache simply redirects
the request. I access site as http://182.24.116.157:7333/godzilla/ where
"godzilla" is name of deployed .war file in weblogic To enable switching
between HTTP and HTTPS I used below rewrite rule but this isn't working. I
want to redirect all the pages which start with "isc" on to HTTPS for
example below

https://182.24.116.157:7334/godzilla/iscmypage

> For HTTP Virtual Host
>
> RewriteEngine on
>
> RewriteRule ^/godzilla$ http://182.24.116.157:7333/godzilla/     # Here
also tried ^godzilla$

> RewriteRule ^/godzilla/(isc\.*)$ https://182.24.116.157:7334/godzilla/$1
[L] # Here also tried removed preceding /

> RewriteRule ^/godzilla/(.*)$ http://182.24.116.157:7333/godzilla/$1 [P,L]
# Here also tried removed preceding /

You indicate above you want a redirect, ie, a browser accessing
http://182.24.116.157:7333/godzilla/iscmypage should be told to access
https://182.24.116.157:7334/godzilla/iscmypage in stead. Am i correct?

You can do this several ways. One is with a rewrite rule, but you need
to add the R flag. Like this:
RewriteRule ^/godzilla/(isc\.*)$ https://182.24.116.157:7334/godzilla/$1 [R]

This will cause the server to send a redirect response to the browser.

Another way is to use the  Redirect directive:

RedirectMatch /godzilla/(isc\.*)$ https://182.24.116.157:7334/godzilla/$1

You http config btw contains a lot that is (in my opinion) unecessary.

- You cannot have ssl namevirtualhosts
- You have alias and proxy statements for the same URLs. What do you
want your server to do?

So try to simplify your httpd.config somewhat.
- Since your app lives on another server you certainly don't need the
"Alias /Godzilla/ ... " lines.
- You only need the redirect or rewrite statement in your http host,
not in your https host.
- The proxy statements you only want in the https host, not in your http
host.

HTH,

Krist

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland

Tech Mahindra, formerly Mahindra-British Telecom.

Disclaimer:

The contents of this E-mail (including the contents of the enclosure(s) or
attachment(s) if any) are privileged and confidential material of Tech Mahindra
and should not be disclosed to, used by or copied in any manner by anyone other
than the intended addressee(s). In case you are not the desired addressee, you
should delete this message and/or re-direct it to the sender. The views
expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure(s) or attachment(s)
if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views of Tech Mahindra.

This e-mail message including attachment/(s), if any, is believed to be free of
any virus. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
is virus free and Tech Mahindra is not responsible for any loss or damage
arising in any way from its use.