On 6/27/06, Forrest Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This appears to be experimental.

I don't believe mod_cache/mod_disk_cache is experimental in 2.2.2.  It
is in earlier versions, but I've already recommended you stay away
from those.

How would an approach like this compare to a product such as Squid (in
terms of use).  Obviously Squid is very much more specialized and
requires resources to scale properly.

I haven't used squid's caching, so I can't compare.  But a big
advantage of mod_cache is that it can be used on the origin server
itself -- no need to put a proxy in front.  This should reduce the
load and complexity signficantly.  (It can also be used on a proxy, if
you want a multi-tiered architecture.)

mod_disk_cache should give you speeds that are better than apache
httpd's static file access speeds.  In other words, it will be WAY
faster than anything that requires database access.

Joshua.