On 6/27/06, Chris Liles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
After looking at the perl script suggested by Joshua, I see that I can use
crypt(), so I tested and it works. Of course postgres doesn't have a crypt()
function :( I really want to be able to just insert in the database like
crypt('plaintext') and have postgres handle the hashing. Is there a way in the
config to change the auth module to expect a md5 hash instead of a crypt, or
even plaintext?

No.  There is an md5-based algorithm available, but it requires use of
a salt and a special apache-specific marker.  You can't just md5-has
the password.

I don't know much about postgres, but to hash passwords you're either
going to need a language that can reproduce the algorithms used by
apache (as in the examples I sent you), or you're going to need to
call an external program to generate the hashes as Nick suggests.

Joshua.