You might be able to use it in a RewriteCond directive. You would need then to
craft a clever RewriteRule to get the result you want (eg, proxy back to an
alias URL...)

> So what's the common practice to specify conditional
> directives based on
> env. variables, or at least use the "Allow from env=..." form with an
> always-existing variable

The apache config file is just that - a file. It is not a programming language
so doesn't really have the syntax for the if-then-else type of construct you
want. Playing around with ENVs and RewriteConds gives you limited functionality
but doesn't cover all the bases.

As others have stated, your problem might be that you are trying to impose a
particular regime when the syntax doesn't readily support it. The simplest
solution is just to copy the Directory block into each VH with different
directives in each case.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> thx
> mortee
>
> Boyle Owen wrote:
> > YOu can put a Directory block at server config level, ie,
> outside all
> > VHs. Then it applies globally. As regards making the directives
> > conditional on the protocol used, you could use mod_rewrite - it has
> > a built-in environment variable, %{HTTPS} that is "on" or "off"
> > depending on whether HTTPS was used.

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen
Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a
private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business
activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et
personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.