Joshua Slive wrote:
On 7/5/06, Rajat Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My cgi script needs to do some dirty work. User is supposed to be notified
via email when the job is done.

Issue is that the after submit of the page, the IE still keeps loading the
page until the long\dirty job is over.

How can I make line 1 come up as an instant page.

I've never done this myself, but I believe you need to close stdin and
stderr as well as stdout.

I'm near certain that would lead to apache ultimately clobbering the child
process.  The best way to handle this is your own daemon, which your cgi
tells to 'go' and then returns immediate to apache after printing the
status message.  Even if apache serves this request, I believe the worker
slot will block on the process to exit, or axe it.