Since apache does not have a 'status' in it's init script here is one.
Simple copy this into a file and make it executable. This file does assume
you have perl available. If you look closely you can edit this file to
provide status of almost any running process.

******* Begin cut *******
#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
use strict;

printStatus ("Apache", getApacheStatus());

sub printStatus
{
    my( $name, $status ) = @_;

    if( defined $status )
    {
        print "$name is $status\n";
    }
    else
    {
        warn "Unable to determine status of $name : $!\n";
    }
}

sub getServiceStatus
{
    my ($pidfile) = @_;

    if( -f $pidfile )
    {
        open( PIDFILE, $pidfile ) or return undef;

        my $pid = <PIDFILE>;

        chomp $pid;

        close( PIDFILE ) or return undef;

        my $status = `ps -p $pid -o pid=`;

        if( $status =~ /$pid/ )
        {
            return "running";
        }
        else
        {
            return "not running (pid exists)";
        }
    }
    else
    {
        return "not running (no pid)";
    }
}

sub getApacheStatus
{
    return getServiceStatus( '/var/run/apache.pid' );
}

Tony Heal
Pace Systems Group, Inc.
800-624-5999