On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 11:20 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Nico De Ranter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to setup a 'Trac' environment on my web server. I think I
> > configured apache correctly but for some reason I get a permission
> > denied.  The log files just say:
> >
> > [Thu Jul 06 17:03:08 2006] [error] [client 43.221.60.239] client denied
> > by server
> > configuration: /www-ssl/server/python-2.4.3/share/trac/cgi-bin/trac.cgi
> >
> > Is there any way to get apache to log *why* it thinks the client should
> > be denied access?
> >
> > (using apache 2.2.0)
>
> Unfortunately, no.  I remember seeing a patch that could spit out
> config file line numbers with this type of message, but I don't think
> it got comitted.
>
> The good news is that it usually isn't too difficult to find the
> problem.  This message almost always means that an Order/Deny/Allow
> sequence is denying access.  So start by checking all those directives
> in httpd.conf and .htaccess.  In particular, since the 2.2 default is
> to deny all access, you'll need to open up that directory using

That did the trick. I copied the config from another server on which it
was running fine, however the location did not have any Allow or Deny
statements at all.

Thanks!

Nico

> something like
> <Directory /www-ssl/server/python-2.4.3/share/trac/cgi-bin/>
> Order Allow,Deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Joshua.

Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Sony Service Center (NSCE)
The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium
Telephone: +32 (0)2 700 86 41 Fax: +32 (0)2 700 86 22