On 7/9/06, Noel Stratton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Your stated solution was "Require user non-existent-user
in the sub-directory .htaccess files"

This will prompt the user for a username and password correct?   I guess this
would work, but I was hoping to have the forbidden page come up right away
instead of the authorization required page come up after the user enters the
wrong user name and password three times.  If this my only solution I will do
it, but I was hoping to find some way to override the root .htaccess file.

Just add
ErrorDocument 401 http://yoursite.example.com/path/to/denied/messages.html
to the .htaccess in the subdirectory.

(Yes, I agree this is all a silly hack.  The optimal configuration would be
Require off
Satisfy any
buy apache does not support "Require off".  I'm not sure if this will
work easier after auth is redone in 2.4.)

Joshua.