Thanks for the help, Joshua. I configured apache to use mod_disk_cache and it seems to be working and compressed content is getting served up correctly. Guess that means it is a bug in mod_mem_cache ?

I still have to run some tests to check the performance of (caching on disk + compression) vs ( caching in memory) though.

From: "Joshua Slive" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] mod_deflate/mod_mem_cache issues
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:01:48 -0400

On 7/19/06, Apache User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I have an Apache 2.2.2 setup on a Redhat box. Mod_proxy(mod_proxy_ajp) is
being used to connect to tomcat on the same machine. Caching is implemented
using mod_cache(mod_mem_cache). This setup works fine and caching seems to
be working as expected.

The problem occurs when I try to optimize further by supporting HTML
compression using mod_deflate. In this case, whenever deflated documents are served by the cache the Content-length returned is 0. Is this a known issue
? Can mod_deflate and mod_mem_cache be used together ? Or is it that
mod_mem_cache cannot handle compressed content ?

I don't have any specific info on this problem, but I'd highly
recommend using mod_disk_cache in place of mod_mem_cache.  It is
better tested, and will be more performant in most scenarios.

Joshua.