What was suggested below didn't make it work.
> userdir.conf
> > ==============================================================================
> > <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
> >         UserDir public_html
> >         UserDir disabled root
> >
> >         <Directory /home/*/public_html>
> >                 AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> >                 Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
> > IncludesNoExec
> >         </Directory>
> > </IfModule>
>
> Remove the <IfModule ...> and </IfModule> lines which may be hiding a
> useful error message if you don't have mod_userdir compiled in the
> server.

SO ...........................

It looks like it is not 'seeing' the nfs mount point and following it.

What follows is specific to my set up:

If I load http://bingiwas.binghamton.edu/~chouck into a browser I get an
error in my /var/apache2/error.log:

[Thu Jul 27 08:54:05 2006] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xx.xx] File does  not
exist: /var/www/bingiwas/~chouck

/var/www/bingiwas is the DocumentRoot for the bingiwas.binghamton.edu
virtual host I am using.

# contents of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
# This is here for backwards compatability reasons and to support
#  installing 3rd party modules directly via apxs2, rather than
#  through the /etc/apache2/mods-{available,enabled} mechanism.
#
# using bingiwas from bingnfs1 httpd.conf as an example

NameVirtualHost 128.226.6.37

<VirtualHost 128.226.6.37>
  ServerName bingiwas.binghamton.edu
  DocumentRoot /var/www/bingiwas
  CustomLog /var/log/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<Directory /u0/users/*/*/public_html>
   Order deny,allow
   Allow from all
   AllowOverride Limit AuthConfig
   Options +IncludesNOEXEC -FollowSymLinks -ExecCGI +Indexes
</Directory>

<Directory /u0/users/*/*/public_html/cgi-bin>
        Options execCGI
        SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

What I want it to do is follow the NFS mount point /u0/users and
'replace' the ~chouck with /u0/users/A/chouck/public_html

I repeat myself here.

cat userdir.conf
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
        UserDir public_html
        UserDir disabled root

        <Directory /u0/users/*/*/public_html>
                AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
                Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
IncludesNoExec
        </Directory>
</IfModule>

and in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled I have
 userdir.load -> /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load

What am I doing wrong here?

THAX and THANKS
Craig