I am new to this site and have been reading through all the information
presented here, but my search didn't answer my question.

I run my site on an apache server and I have access to the raw apache
logs.  Lately I've been analyzing these by hand to see a more complete
picture of where traffic is currently coming from/search etc. rather
than the monthly summary that Webalizer gives you.

Anyway, if a visitor comes in to the site (and it apparently matters
little which browser) from the index page, it records like 4-5 entries
for that index page (GET / with the same IP as the original request,
but no referer after the initial request), one right after the other a
couple of seconds apart.  Then if the visitor from that IP goes to any
other page (which logs normally), another 4-5 entries for the index
page (again GET / with no referer) are written into the log.  This
seems to happen for every page they go to.  It doesn't happen for
everyone, just certain people, I'd say maybe 5%-10% of the traffic.

We do ads on impressions, so what I am curious about is if this is
normal behavior and whether the ads are being run each time
(javascript).  There is no other resulting entries with the GET /
commands (as in image loads, etc), just the multiple lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in knowing whether I'm just being
paranoid or this is something that is on my server and what to do about
it, if anything?

Thanks

--
Keith A