Usually, that means nobody knows how to help you.

> Help! Second day server's been down!! I tried to upgrade from apache
> 1.3.3 to 2.2.3 and now nothing works.

Upgrading from 1.3 to 2 is not trivial. Many directives have changed
significantly and the config is not generally backwards compatible. You
should have read carefully the upgrade docs before attempting this and,
even then tried it on a test server first.

> Can't remember or find
> anything I
> changed on the old apache but that won't come up either. The
> problem is
> in proxying. (I use VirtualHostMonster with Zope.) I had to
> comment out
> the following lines in order to get Apache2 to come up:
>
> # Reverse proxy params
> CacheRoot "/tmp/proxy/shop.2012.vi"
> # CacheSize 100000
> # CacheGcInterval 2
> # CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
> # CacheDefaultExpire 1
> # CacheDirLength 2

Caching is one area that is completely different between 1.3 and 2.2 -
you have to read and understand each directive in your 1.3 config then
re-write the whole semantic in 2.2 directives.

> Of course, then nothing in Zope works, because it's all based on VHM!
> I've been googling my brains out with no luck! Did the cache
> rules get
> rewritten in Apache2?

Absolutely. Didn't you check?

> Is there new syntax I should use?

Yes.

> Here's my
> configure command:
>
> ./configure --enable-so  --enable-expires --enable-vqadmin
> --enable-speling --enable-rewrite --enable-cache --enable-deflate
> --enable-disk-cache --enable-mime-magic --enable-mods-shared="proxy
> proxy_http proxy_ftp proxy_connect headers"

Your best bet is to rill back to your old config and apache 1.3 so you
get back online. Then try 2.2 on a test server (can be the same physical
machine - just listen on a different port) and make sure you understand
all the config changes.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> TIA,
> beno

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.