It was thus said that the Great Vagelis Papadogiannakis once stated:
> Actually, my dear friend using the core file, vi, and perltook me no more
> than 15 minutes to restore each and every one virtualhost (count: 123, some
> of them with more than 1 subdomain)

  Well, I did say for next time.

> about mod_info now, I am not really sure if it could help me out with this
> one..
> On every vhost.conf file, there were a lot of directives about php, python,
> ruby, safe modes, auth sections, password files etc etc etc...

  Same on my server, and while the information is a bit spread out, it's all
there:

        [ snip ]

          <Directory
/http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/htdocs/people/spc/inv/xxxx.net>
            AuthUserFile /http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/users
            AuthGroupFile /http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/groups
          </Directory>

        [ snip --- different module ]

          <Directory
/http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/htdocs/people/spc/inv/xxxx.net>
            Options Indexes
            AuthType Basic
            AuthName "XXXX Invoices"
            Require group xxxx
          </Directory>

(lots snipped actually).  It even displays the configuration of my custom
Apache module:

   Module Name: mod_litbook.c

   Content handlers: litbook-handler

   Configuration Phase Participation: Create Directory Config

   Request Phase Participation: none

   Module Directives:
          LitbookDir - Specifies base location of book contents
          LitbookTranslation - Specifies the location of book/chapter titles
and abbreviations
          LitbookIndex - The URL for the main indexpage for this book
          LitbookTLD - Same value as the Location directive (see docs)
          LitbookTitle - Set the title of pages output by this module

   Current Configuration:

   conf/httpd.conf
          <Location /kj/>
            LitbookDir /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/bible
            LitbookTranslation /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/thebooks
            LitbookIndex http://literature.conman.org/bible/
            LitbookTLD /kj/
            LitbookTitle "The Electric King James"
          </Location>

  Granted, it helps to know how the original configuration file was
constructed, but I think it would be better (or easier for some people) than
searching through a core file 8-)

  -spc (It also gives a good indication of which modules handle what ... )