I did the following for my development environment, with customer preview:

---
LoadModule vhost_alias_module libexec/apache22/mod_vhost_alias.so

<Directory "d:/work/*/public_html">
    Options All MultiViews
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    # '%1' means, include the first part of the server name in the
filenames used to satisfy requests
        ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        VirtualDocumentRoot d:/work/%1/public_html
        VirtualScriptAlias d:/work/%1/cgi-bin
</VirtualHost>
---

I enabled wildcards in my example.dyndns.org record.

Now for every new project, all I had to do was creating the directory
"project/public_html" in "d:\work", and the site was immeditely
accessible as  http://projectname.example.dyndns.org

Welcome
Alain Wolf

Alain Wolf