As I said before... Not as far as I know. A quick look in the code
(modules/aaa/mod_auth_basic.c) shows that mod_auth returns the same value
(HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED) if there's no auth header OR wrong scheme OR password
mismatch OR user not found

So you can't tell what caused the request to fail which means that no
credentials (first request) = bad request.

The thing is that Basic Auth is, as the name implies, "basic". If you want to
do clever stuff like you do, you really have to go for a cookie-driven login
scheme that has more server-sided intelligence. Since you're already using PHP,
there are lots of PHP-based closed user group solutions - search on www.php.net.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege