On 8/17/06, Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to track down some performance issues with an apache server.
(behaviour description below). The system is apache, php, and mysql on win
2003. I'm looking for a tool or procedure to track down the source.
unfortunately, because this is a production server, I can't easily shut
down one component at a time.  I have already read through the FAQ
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html) and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/perf-tuning.html but they are both
for  apache 1.3 on linux.
The behaviour I am seeing is that sometimes page requests are normal,
sometimes pages load slow, and sometimes they don't load at all and the
user gets a 'cannot find server' error message, and all occur in no
particular order within a short period of time on the same user machine.
Any suggestions for appropriate tools (or if anybody recognizes the
symptoms) that work on win 2003 would be appreciated.

Moderately unhelpful comment: Running apached 1.3 on windows is not a
good idea.  The 2.x versions are vastly improved on this platform.

Slightly less unhelpful comment: Try mod_status and the server-status
handler to see what the server is up to.

Joshua.