On 8/22/06, Anthony Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I know that if I was doing this in java I would need a filter, but if my
sites under apache just includes pictures and html docs, with some cgi, I am
unsure if a filter is really what I need.

I was trying to figure out a way, where based on the URL path  could do
certain things.

If someone goes to:

http:/mysite.com/alpha -> This would maybe check the header information for
a certain variable (anything under the alpha directory (files or folders))

http:/mysite.com/beta -> This would forward you to beta.mysite.com (anything
under the beta directory (files or folders))

http:/mysite.com/gamma -> This would maybe check the time of day and if it
is after 5pm forwards you to a static page that says it is after 5pm.

Is anything like this possible?

Probably with mod_rewrite, but your requirements above are not very
clear.  Beta and gamma are certainly possible, but I don't know what
you mean by "a certain variable" nor what you want to do with it.

Joshua.