Removed the .htaccess file and added the two lines to the <VirtualHost> directive.

Instead of a 404 error I get a 400 error now.

-Eoin

On 8/24/06, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/24/06, Eoin Coffey < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey There,
>
> After reading the faq, docs, and browsing the usenet I'm still stumped.
>
> Here's the setup.
>
> My work is using port based virtual servers to manage our dev projects.  So
> same IP address, but it will server up a different docroot depending on the
> port number.
>
> I've put the 'RewriteEngine on' in the relevant <VirtualHost> directive.  I
> also created a simple .htaccess file in the docroot with:
>
> 'RewriteEngine on
>
> RewriteBase /
>
> RewriteRule ^yarg\.php$ index.php'
>
> But /yarg.php still gives me a 404 error.
>
> As a sidenote I also added 'RewriteLog rewrite_log' and 'RewriteLogLevel 9'
> to .htaccess, but the log file is not created, which makes me suspect the
> rewrite engine doesn't even kick in.
>
> We're running Apache 2.2.0 on a Fedora Core box.
>
> I've verified that mod_rewrite is loaded with get_apache_modules().
>
> A pre-thanks for the help, and a apology for any lack of information or
> confusion on my part.

RewriteLog isn't even allowed in .htaccess files.  So this tells me
you have AllowOverride set to prevent apache from reading .htaccess
files.

But don't fix that.  Just put the RewriteRules in httpd.conf where they belong:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/yarg\.php$ index.php'

Joshua.