On 8/25/06, Bing Du <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Start here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/urlmapping.html
>
> What you want is probably a simple Alias.
>
> But note that it is best not to have two permanent URLs mapping to the
> same place.  So you should make one URL or the other be a Redirect.

Thanks for the quick response.  What if I need
http://www.dept.some.edu/group to go to the overview.html rather than the
index.html in the /var/www/html/long/path/to/group directory, if adding
'overview.html' to DirectoryIndex in the httpd.conf file is not an option?
 I'd try Alias first. Failing that, I would try mod_rewrite next.  So I
tried

Alias /group/index.html /var/www/html/long/path/to/group/overview.html

When I go to http://www.dept.some.edu/group, I got page not found.

You could use
AliasMatch ^/group/$ /var/www/html/log/path/to/group/overview.html
Alias /group/ /var/www/html/log/path/to/group/

But why can't you use DirectoryIndex?  This directive can be scoped
inside <Directory> or <Location> sections and can also contain
multiple filenames.

Joshua.