1. Sorry about cc'ing to you personally - I did a Reply All to keep the
message and forgot to amend the headers.

2. Reproducible fix:
Finally got the secured site to server by adding to
/etc/apache2/mods-available/ssl.conf one line:
      Listen 443

3. Reproducible fix:
I eliminated the wrong-DNS dialog after accepting the certificate by
regenerating the cert.  Problem with apache2's mod_ssl ssl_faq is that it
doesn't say that the CommonName needs to be the fully qualified server
name!

Unfortunately I may not have undone all the things I found by googling -
most of which had no immediate effects.  One of which installed Apache 1
as a by-product, which I uninstalled.

4. Problems, non-fatal:
I've added back the *:80 forwarding part to the secure site, and added a
second vhost file with another *:80 entry in it for a separate but related
website.  On startup Apache2 gives these errors:
  -      apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
  -      [Fri Aug...] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
But it starts up.

5. Problem, incorrect behaviour:
The Alias + Directory command which worked before the SSL seems to work
for the plain *:80 site but no longer for the newly SSL'd site.  The
secured site tries to serve it directly as content instead of Apache using
the Directory directive:
    Alias /images/ /www/sites/images/
    <Directory /www/sites/images>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
I've tried copying the Alias with/without Directory into the secured
VirtualHost tags, but with no change in behaviour.  Otherwise secured
content does show up correctly on the unsecured site without a certificate
dialog as desired.

Ideas on how to correct either 4 or 5 is appreciated.  I always stop and
start apache between changes when trying them out, and force Firefox to
refresh content.  Apache's error.log shows only SIGTERM shutdown/startup
entries now, and I am using Apache2 on Ubuntu 6.

Thanks!

-Chris