> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxyrequests

Thanks for the pointer.  Hmmm...but I don't see the proxy service is
turned on in the httpd.conf.  What else I should suspect?

==
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
# Proxy Server directives. Uncomment the following lines to
# enable the proxy server:
#<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
#ProxyRequests On
#<Proxy *>