Well I have already tried mod_status. I was under the impression that the scoreboard file would give me some more information.

To give some more details about my test

I have following server configuration

  Timeout               300
  MaxKeepAliveRequests  500
  KeepAliveTimeout      6
  KeepAlive             On
  MinSpareServers       16
  MaxSpareServers       32
  StartServers          4
  MaxClients            250
  MaxRequestsPerChild   500

My test is:

I fire http request using curl form a simulated set up. these request are fired at the rate of 4 request per second. Roughly there are 240 requests in 60 seconds.

With this kind of set up I see apache reaching to the MaxClient Limit and things going.

with KeepAliveTimeout as 6 why are the process not recovering?

I would appreciate your help to understand this scenario.

On 8/30/06, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/30/06, Chidanand Gangur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a condition in my network where all of a sudden the server becomes
> unresponsive I want to know what and where things are messing up.
>
>  I am using PHP for server side scripting where I open UNIX dgram socket to
> comunicate to the back end. I have a test where 800-1000 user try to access
> the server.
>
>  I see lot of  UNIX stream sockets in connected state in net stat though I
> am using UNIX dgram sockets. I also see the apache has reached MaxClient
> limit of 250.
>
>  When such condition arises I see whole of my system becomes slow.
>  I want to get a clear idea where things are messing up.

If you want to look at the scoreboard, use the server-status handler
provided by mod_status.  This won't, of course, help if your server is
completely locked up.  But I don't think you're going to get anywhere
trying to debug the raw scoreboard. And it doesn't seem to have
anything to do with your problem.

Obviously if you have 1000 clients connecting and MaxClient of 250,
you're not going to get much performance.  If you want to really see
what apache is up to, use a debugger as described here:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace

Joshua.