Someone can help me?

I have some questions related to the configuration of apache 2.2.
I am working on Unix and I want to use the apache as a proxy server with
caching.

I used --enable-proxy --enable-cache --enable-disk-cache
#--enable-mem-cache

1) If both disk_cache and mem_cache are enable, when files will be kept
on disk? What is the algorithm?

2) What is better to use? Mem_cache or disk_cache?
(I read some previous responses that disk_cache is faster because in
mem_cache there is a memory For each thread), does it correct?

3) How can I config httpd.conf to support only disk_cache?
My configuration goes as following, what is wrong with it?
I ran the apache with this configuration, but the files were not cached
in CacheRoot.

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests On

<Proxy *>