On Friday 08 September 2006 22:35, mailing lists wrote:
> Can someone explain me why Apache 2.2.3 requires libpq.so (postgres) ?

It doesn't.  PostgreSQL support is optional.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] RPMS]# rpm -Uhv httpd-2.2.3-1.i686.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by httpd-2.2.3-1.i686

So that particular package requires it.  That's the packager's decision.

When you install a package, you accept whatever decisions the packager
has made on your behalf.  I think this packager's decision to include
postgresql support makes sense, given that the apr-util build (which
is the relevant bit) doesn't (yet) support loading the pgsql driver
dynamically.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674