Hi Joshua,

> There are only two writing actions there: syscall_393 which is (I
> believe) sendfile and the log write.  Neither of those should have any
> effect on your file.

> Just on a whim, I would try "EnableSendfile Off" in httpd.conf.  But
> even if that works, the only explanation I would have would be
> something very screwed up with your freebsd install.  (Note that 1.3
> doesn't use sendfile, which would explain why it doesn't have that
> problem.)

You're right. "EnableSendfile Off" makes the trick. :-/
Now what could it be with my FreeBSD installation to cause such a mess? Until
now I didn't notice
any problems with any other applications.
I have FreeBSD 6.0 here. Not sure if 6.1 would make a difference...

BTW did I mention I really appreciate your help? Thanks a lot! People like you
are priceless for
open-source projects!

--
Best regards,