I have a couple of directories which I protect with .htaccess/.htpasswd.

So, whenever a user starts a browser and enters http://server/protected, a
pop-up authorization window shows up, and he/she is required to give valid
credentials.

Is there an easy way to replace the pop-up authorization window with a web
page of my own (some text, form with user/pass, help etc.)?

What I mean, I would rather display the user a web page saying "You have
to authorize, type your credentials, click here for help...", whenever
he/she enters http://server/protected, http://server/protected/file.pdf or
http://server/protected/info.html, for the first time after starting the
browser.

--