On Sep 27, 2006, at 11:10 PM, Boyle Owen wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: jekillen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:34 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Two Nics, several ips aliased to each one
Thanks for the reply, I can't use the private IP addresses in public
DNS records, I don't think, particularly when they reference the same
host.

Exactly. I didn't actually say "DNS" - I said "resolve". That's why I
mentioned /etc/hosts - normally, you'd define internal host/IPs in
/etc/hosts and you'd register external, public hosts/IPs with the public
internet DNS. The server then uses both methods (priority defined in
nsswitch.conf) to resolve host names to IPs.
Thanks for the reply.
I get spread too thin, I'll have to go back over my stuff on resolve.conf
and etc/hosts. nsswitch is something I haven't hacked yet. I presume
that applies, in this case, to the server in question (?)
Jeff K

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

So would I use. Seems to me I've seen a DNS setup called a
split server
where one resolves internal addresses and the other resolvers
external
addresses.
But etc/host would work on the internal network? This is somewhat
confusing to
me. Time to go back and study the networking stuff.
Jeff K.

As It stands now I have three sites served on this machine and
all three of each group of addresses brings up one of the sites.

I am having more trouble with this (virtual host setup) for some
reason, than setting up my DNS records and configuration.

I have a copy of Apache the Definitive Guide published by O'Reilly,
as well as other books and subscriptions to other tech
lists but can't
seem to get a handle on this.
Thanks in advance for knowledgeable responses.
Jeff K.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
try
www.brushandbard.com
www.serioussite,com
www.jekillen.com
They will all bring up
www.brushandbard.com
I do not presently have enough business
to call myself a business, let alone get professional help
at a professional price.
JK

confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender
urgently and then immediately delete the message and any
copies of it
from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of
the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the
intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right
to monitor
all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views
expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the
message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to
state them to
be the views of the sender's company.